Protecting Your Income Abroad

by Alexander Beard, on Nov 21, 2018 11:48:11 AM

On my recent visits to schools I have unfortunately met with a couple of international teachers who are dealing with life changing illnesses.

It is clearly stressful enough being away from their homes and extended families but they both also found themselves in a situation whereby their employers had completely stopped paying their salaries.

Quite often international employment does not offer the same accident/sickness benefits which are law in the majority of home countries.

Take a minute to ask yourself.

  • What happens to my income if I am too sick and cannot work?
  • What happens to my income if I have an accident and cannot work?
  • Will my employer continue paying my full salary, a reduced salary or nothing at all?

If your employer does not offer reasonable benefits perhaps you should consider an International Income Protection Plan whilst working overseas.

These plans are designed to replace a percentage of your income in difficult times if you are unable to work due to accident or illness.

  • Plans can cover up to 75% of your salary.
  • Coverage can be portable worldwide (with the exception of a few excluded countries)
  • There is normally a choice of a three or six month deferment period (before benefits would become payable).
  • New policies are usually available to international citizens aged 18-55 with an insurable income.
  • Benefits are normally paid until you are able to return to work (your own occupation, or any suitable occupation after 24 months), aged 65 or tragically death, whichever comes sooner.

For peace of mind and further information please contact

Lesley Stevens
Client Services Director - International Education and NGO

Topics:Financial Planning