Should I be paying National Insurance as a UK Expat?

by Alexander Beard, on Jul 31, 2018 9:18:26 AM

Q. Do I have to make NI contributions if I am working outside the UK?

A. No . It is not mandatory but worth serious consideration if your retirement planning includes State Pension provision.

Q. How many qualifying years do I need for the full State Pension?

A. You need 35 qualifying years.

Q. Is there a minimum number of years I need?

A. Yes, 10 years is the minimum.

Q. Would I receive a proportion if I don’t manage 35yrs of contributions?

A. Yes, if you have between 10 and 35years.

Q. How is that worked out?

A. Let’s say you have 20 years of contributions at retirement age. Divide the full New weekly State Pension (April 2018) of £164.35 by 35. Then multiply by 20. Your weekly State Pension would be £93.91.

Q. Once I am receiving my pension will it increase?

A. That depends where you live. If you are in the UK, EU or a country with an Agreement with the UK then it will increase annually by the Rate of Inflation or Consumer Price Index (whichever the higher), otherwise the payments may well be frozen.

Q. How do I find out what I already have?

A. You can request an up to date Pension Forecast (form BR19).

Q. Can I make contributions from abroad?

A. Yes, you can make voluntary contributions in certain circumstances. The sites below may be of help or contact

Lesley Stevens
Client Services Director - International Education and NGO